Research shows that adults are motivated to learn when they see that the subject matter applies directly to their own life and work contexts. We create integrated instructional curriculum and materials that build reading and writing skills and oral English language proficiency through presentation of essential work and life skills content.
We bring deep knowledge of adult literacy development, adult second language acquisition, and workplace skills development to projects that include program design and evaluation, materials development, use of online content in instruction, and educator professional development.
Representative Projects and Activities
- Development and teaching of fully online course in professional summary writing for federal agency employees
- Development of curricular materials and teacher guidelines for use with consumer financial literacy and fraud protection websites in English and Spanish
- Development and teaching of English for the workplace courses for employees in the hotel, retail, and financial management industries
- Design and management of an English for professional purposes program that prepares adults who are native speakers of critical languages to enter federal service
- Presentations on “Choosing and using life skills websites with adult learners” the TESOL International conference and at the North Carolina State University ESL Symposium
- Friedenberg, J., Kennedy, D., Lomperis, A., Martin, W., & Westerfield, K. Effective practices in workplace language training. Alexandria, VA: Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)